Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book Recommendations...Favorite Reads from 2009


I love to read and pass on recommendations when I think a book would be edifying for others. Here are a few of my personal favorites from 2009...

Why We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck

I recent years some have challenged the need for and continued viability of the organized church. This book is an entertaining, sometimes even funny, read, with theological depth that provides a biblical defense of the church. Very enjoyable read by two engaging writers.


Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung

One of the most refreshing books I've read on discerning the will of God. This one can be given to teens and up (its a short read). Another enjoyable book with depth by DeYoung, who's becoming one of my favorite Christian writers.

Finally Alive by John Piper

An in-depth biblical study on the new birth, being "born again". One of Piper's best books in my opinion.



Adopted for Life by Russell Moore

A call to the church to look at adoption as a missionary enterprise. This book shows that you cannot look at the biblical doctrine of adoption without thinking of the adoption of children, and vice versa. An emotional and theologically rich book that was a wake up call to me re: our responsibility as individuals and the church towards orphan care.
Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches


Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller

I would rank this my favorite overall book from 2009. This book challenges us to discover and deal with the idols in our hearts that compete with God for allegiance. This book shook me up, dug deep and helped me discover things about myself that I had been blind to previously. Big "aha' truth from this book...our idols are probably good things that we have turned into ultimate things.
Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters


A Praying Life by Paul Miller

One of the best books I've ever read on prayer. Just read it. And then read it again. I will most likely revisit frequently as I have continually struggled to have a vibrant prayer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment